Saturday, December 10, 2011

Jingle, jingle, jingle...

Oh, it's Christmas time.  Some of me is happy and some of me is indifferent.  Another part is sad.

I really am excited to give (and get) gifts.  My love language is giving, meaning that I show my love via gifts and feel love by the receiving of gifts.  My husband does not always like this about me.  I have expensive taste ;-)  I do like to give to others though.  I am not sure that I always pick the best gifts, but I do always have the best of intentions.

I am indifferent in that I cannot seem to "catch" the holiday spirit as others do.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and looking at Christmas lights as much as the next gal, but the whole "magical" season eludes me.  Celebrating the birth of Christ is important to me in my faith, but I am more Grinch that I want to admit.  Putting the tree up is a chore and taking it down is even worse.  I am too lazy to put lights up outside.  Is there something wrong with me that I lack the holiday spirit?  I doubt it.  The royal Grinchness herself, my mother, raised me to loathe the holiday season.  Not really, but it was a hectic time as she works at the post office and their busiest time is the holiday season.  I never got that magical feeling as a child either.  I think it must be inbred.  I come from a long line of hard core grinches.

I can't blame them though, there is no part of me that secretly aches to decorate the whole house in pine and lights.

This will be my first Christmas away from my momma, which makes me very sad.  Since Tommy has to work on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after, and Harper and I will be hanging tough and celebrating the holidays by ourselves mostly.  A friend or two has offered to include us in their celebrations, but it just won't be the same.

So, if you are able to spend the holidays with your family, however horrible it may seem, try to enjoy your family time, as many of us do not get to spend the holidays with our entire family.

Ho Ho Ho and Merry Christmas y'all!!
WE


No comments:

Post a Comment